Recognising the complexity of education systems and their differences in different countries, an agreement on fundamental values is needed to build confidence between educational systems, institutions and society as a whole. The 2030 sustainable development goals greatly require inputs from education. Searching for solutions to short-term local challenges as well as addressing the longer-term imperatives of sustainable development are integral parts of Universities social responsibility in research, teaching and outreach. More than ever before, Universities need to strengthen their bond with society to create prosperous communities and reconciling excellence with their social relevance. Education means creating values, indicating behaviour, encouraging the sense of responsibility in those who will be in charge of future societies. Universities should be open and respectful of differences promoting diversity as a tool for active citizenship.
Alessandra Scagliarini is a professor of Infectious diseases and currently Vice-rector for International Relations and International cooperation at the University of Bologna.
She is an international expert in veterinary virology with particular interest onepitheliotropic viruses infecting animals and humans, antivirals and innovativediagnostic tools. In these areas, Alessandra Scagliarini has carried out research projects at international, European, and national levels. She has been a visiting scholar at the Moredun Research Institute (Edinburgh, Scotland); Department of Microbiology, Otago University (Dunedin, New Zealand); Rega-Instituut, Virologie en Chemoterapie Unit (Leuven, Belgium); Department of Paraclinical Sciences University of Pretoria (South Africa). Alessandra Scagliarini served as a reviewer for several international journals and as a chair of international conferences and workshops.
She is the author of over 70 publications in international magazines and over 80 publications in proceedings of national and international conferences.
- Board member of the Observatory Magna Charta Universitatum for the four-year period 2016-2020;
- Member of the SDGs five leading group of the IAU – International Association of Universities cluster on HESD since 2019;
- President of the European University Alliance UNA Europa for the two-year period 2019-2020;
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Bologna Process Anniversary and conference (which will be held in Bologna on June 24-25 2019);
- Member of the National Scientific Qualification board of the Italian Ministry of Education, Universities and Research (for the period 2016-2018);
- Member of the Italian Ministry of Education, Universities and Research commission on restricted access degree programs (2013);
- Member of the ministerial technical board on technological districts, platforms and infrastructure (2009);
- Board member of the Italian Technological platform on Global Animal Health for the four-year period 2007-2010;
- Member of the Co-ordination group (CG2: Enabling factors) of the European Technological Platform on Global Animal Health (period 2006-2012).